Monday 20 February 2012

Member Profile: Meet Sonya!


In an effort to get get to know our members a bit more and to start a little chatter, we will post weekly profiles of MQG Ireland members.  Let me introduce you to our first brave volunteer, Sonya.  Take it away....

The basics
Name: Sonya Mulligan  

Hometown: Originally from Blarney Co Cork

Current Home:  Whitechurch Co Cork. About 10 miles from Cork City, but rural – surrounded by farms (we are not farmers), we live on a half-acre in a detached dormer bunglow.

Family: 1 Husband & 2 kids, a girl 5 & a boy 3

Pets: We have a cat & a couple of wild cats that have adopted usJ

Sonya's First Quilt

The details
What is your day job?  I'm a housewife.
What is your favourite time waster? Having a cuppa with the girls/etsy.

What are you working on now?  Where to start, I have started a big quilt for my sitting room or maybe my bed. I have the pattern & all the fabric for a quilt I have promised my son. I am  making two baby quilts for friends & I have started a couple of baby size quilts – Im trying a more modern approach with them. Then there is a dress I started last year & stopped when I got to the bit about the zipL

What do you want to be working on right now? My hall, I want cool fabric to cover 4 cushions & a foam seat I have….but  I have no inspiration at the moment. I would also like to be finishing that dress!

Do you have other hobbies beyond quilting? I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, but I am not super fit or thin. I just like having the, me time. I am always reading something in bed but haven’t been stuck into a book in ages.

Do you play sports?  No, I think I would die if someone kicked a ball at me.

What is your greatest fear? Has to be coming out of a public toilet with my dress tucked into my knickers – even typing this is making me cringe.

Is there anything in your past that would shock us (that you’re willing to share)? I'm sure there is plenty, but we hardly know each other so I'll share another timeJ

What started you quilting? My friend Sarah from Fairyface Design, just looking at all her fab work everytime I called just made me want to give it a go & now I love it….thanks Sarah.

Sonya's Favorite Quilt - front
....and the back.

A Quick-fire Round….What is your Favourite
place to holiday: Califonia
movie: A few good men
food: pizza
book: the time travellers wife
band/song: Coldplay
colour:blue
saying: he/she didn’t lick it off the floor
fabric line: petal pushers
fabric designer: Michael Miller
sewing tool: rotary cutter
completed sewing project: a lap quilt I made for my daughter
quick finish sewing project: elephant pin cushion 
J


Sonya, it was a pleasure getting to know you a bit better.  Thank you so much for sharing a giggle with us!  

8 comments:

  1. Great to meet you Sonya and lovely to read about you too! Your "first" quilt well if that's anything to go by you are gonna be great!! Well done. Fi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sonya! I'mlooking forward to meeting all the rest of the modern quilters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to meet you S! Do you have a blog address? Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So thrilled Sonya took part, she's one of my real life best friends and the first thing we do as soon as we arrive at each other's houses is to pull our our current projects and talk quilting :-) Her stuff is just lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photos of your quilts Sonia and great to read about you. We'll meet one day soon. Love a cuppa too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet you! I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading this, made me giggle and smile.
    Love hearing about others who share the same interests :D
    Will get my answers into you guys this weekend, sorry i'm so slow,
    bit like a basset hound
    love your quilts sonia, beautiful colors & fabrics :D
    Lots of love Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the red and aqua colours in your first quilt. There's definitely a quilt in those colours in my future :-)

    ReplyDelete